IRS Notices

At GPL Tax & Accounting, our extensive experience in the area of tax resolution has shown us that many of the problems that generated notices from the IRS can be resolved relatively easily. The key is to approach the matter correctly and quickly. If you don’t handle it just right, you can find yourself in an even more complicated and confusing situation. In many cases, the issue can be resolved with a letter or a phone call. The most common notice received—the CP2000—is computer generated in response to data not matching between the filed tax return and computerized records. Once a human being becomes involved at the IRS, your troubles can become little more than memories.

Even if the situation has been allowed to develop into something more complicated and the IRS is becoming aggressive in their collection efforts, GPL can step in and provide you with the assistance you need. Don’t let that IRS notice sit and don’t try going it alone. Let the tax resolution specialists at GPL help you.

We will:


  • Carefully review your notice and propose a course of action during a free initial consultation.
  • Prepare any needed written responses, including amended returns that must be filed.
  • Organize and prepare documents for submission that the IRS has requested, in a format and manner that experience has shown IRS agents prefer.
  • Prepare unfiled returns from past years, as far back as is needed.
  • Our enrolled agent will represent you before an IRS auditor in person if needed. You will not even have to attend the audit.

Question: Do I need a lawyer if I am being audited by the IRS?

Answer: Usually, no. If you are being audited, you should contact the tax preparer who did your tax return (if any) and seek help from that person. You would also be well served to secure the services of an Enrolled Agent to either represent you at the audit or to at least help you get prepared and give you advice ahead of time.


More FAQs

Why GPL?

We believe that paying taxes is a necessary part of living in a civilized society, but we also believe that everyone is human and deserving of fair treatment. Mistakes happen and errors are made in judgment both by taxpayers and taxing authorities. Our tax resolution team is devoted to smoothing out the consequences of those human errors and facilitating a fair solution for everyone. We have the knowledge of the tax code and audit procedures to understand how and when they are applied, but we care about the human element so we work to ease any pain. We will stand by our clients until a fair solution to their problem has been reached.


Our Team

About Us

GPL Tax & Accounting is here to handle your personal and business tax preparation and planning needs. We can also handle your bookkeeping and accounting requirements. GPL provides all the tools and know-how you need to be in the best tax position while staying compliant with all tax regulations.

Learn More


How far back can the IRS go to audit my tax returns?
Generally, the IRS can include returns filed within the last three years in an audit. Additional years can be added if a substantial error is identified. Generally, the IRS will not go back more than the last six years.

Does filing an amended return increase my chance of being audited?
No. Filing an amended return does not affect the selection process of the original return. However, amended returns also go through a screening process and the amended return may be selected for audit. Still, you’re probably better off correcting an error on your tax return on your own rather than having the IRS find it and make you correct it. If you require help, feel free to contact us at GPL.

I received an email from the IRS telling me that I am being audited. They are demanding I send them information from my tax return, along with my social security number. How should I respond?
You shouldn’t. The IRS does not ask for information like that through email, via social media, or any other electronic media. You have been contacted by someone who is attempting to defraud you by stealing your identity. You should contact the IRS. For further guidance, you can visit this website:

You are also welcome to contact us at GPL if you have questions or concerns.


12220 113th AVE NE, Suite #100,
Kirkland, WA 98034
Tel. (425) 502 9465 | Fax. (425) 449 8712