Tax Preparation for Non-Profits Services

Few areas are more misunderstood by both taxpayers and tax professionals than the tax reporting and recordkeeping requirements for nonprofit corporations, charities, and organizations founded for the public good. GPL has extensive experience working with charities and nonprofits on the international, federal, and state level, and we have the expertise to make sure you can continue your work without having to worry about the accuracy of your tax filings. By working with GPL,

We will:

  • Make the annual filing with the IRS, on the correct Form 990 (990, 990-EZ, 990-N, 990-PF, or 990-T).
  • Make sure the right state tax documents are filed with the proper departments in all necessary states.
  • Coordinate your recordkeeping and tax preparation for maximum compliancy assurance.
  • Distinguish charitable income from non-related business income and report it properly.
  • Protect your organization from losing its tax exempt status through an automatic IRS revocation.

Question: My organization is a charity, and I’ve been told I’m too small to need to register with the IRS. Do I need to file tax returns?

Answer: Almost all charities and nonprofits have an obligation to file an annual return with the IRS and most states—even “public welfare organizations,” such as those registered under Code Section 501(c), and charities those that are so small that they are not required to apply to the IRS for recognition as tax-exempt (such as those that normally do not have more than $5,000 in annual gross receipts), as well as organizations exempt under other Code Sections, such as 501(c).


More FAQs

Why GPL?

Since the firm’s inception, GPL has worked with charities and nonprofit organizations. We have the knowledge to make sure the right tax documents are filed with the right tax authorities in a timely fashion. Since we are a full-service firm, we can both prepare your tax returns and keep your organization’s books in a way that assures compliance with all state and federal regulations.


Our Team

About Us

GPL Tax & Accounting is here to handle your personal and business tax preparation and planning needs. We can also handle your bookkeeping and accounting requirements. GPL provides all the tools and know-how you need to be in the best tax position while staying compliant with all tax regulations.

Learn More


When do I have to apply to the IRS for recognition of my charity as a tax-exempt organization?

When you have regular annual gross receipts in excess of $5,000. targeted at someone who is new to this problem or service. Just got an IRS notice. Just starting their business and knows they need some kind of accounting, etc.

What is the deadline to file my nonprofit’s annual tax return?
The deadline for filing the Form 990 with the IRS depends on the fiscal year of the nonprofit. The forms are due no later than 5 ½ months after the end of the nonprofit’s fiscal year.

I missed the deadline to file my annual return for my tax-exempt organization. What happens now?

There are penalties for failure to file a timely and/or inaccurate return that range from monetary penalties, to automatic loss of tax-exempt status if an organization fails to file annual returns for three consecutive years. You should seek assistance from a tax preparer who specializes in nonprofits immediately.


12220 113th AVE NE, Suite #100,
Kirkland, WA 98034
Tel. (425) 502 9465 | Fax. (425) 449 8712